Sunday, September 30, 2007

Is this it?

Friday, I had a late lunch with a co-worker. During lunch, I was reminiscing about an event that occurred during an earlier work-lunch event. Half way through the lunch event, I thought suddenly, 10 or 20 years from now, I'm I going to be just like one of the senior executives in this room working for this company? Is that it? I'm going to be driving a nice car with some loft in SF? Has my life already been planned for me?

I told my co-worker about this and she put it perfectly into perspective. I was suddenly realizing that the prime years of my life are passing me by as we speak. Look at all the people that have really made it in their life, whether it be Nobel prize winners, famous writers, etc. The defining movement of their life all happens before the age of 30, usually before 25. What this means is that I have less than three years to make something out of my life or that's it.

This isn't to say I'm unhappy about the current state of affairs. I enjoy my work, I find myself very lucky to be where I am today. I'm more lucky than the usual breed, but I'll get into that on another day. What I'm "complaining" about is the sudden realization that time is tickling and I need to do something. But while I realize I need to do something, I don't see what I can do or which risks I can take to actually accomplish my goal. Which leads me to ask, what is me goal?

No comments: